QCon Terms of Participation
1. We Do Not Offer Refunds. Once paid, registration fees for QCon are non-refundable.
2. Registration Transfers. If a registrant can no longer attend QCon, he/she may contact us and request to transfer his/her registration to another person. Transfer requests may be submitted until two (2) weeks before the conference. QCon staff will formally transfer the entire registration and will issue the badge in the new name. It is not possible to transfer a registration to another QCon in a different city.
3. Badge-Sharing is Not Allowed. It is prohibited for attendees to share badges/registrations. Conference participants violating this policy may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers (Booth passes issued to exhibitors are exempt from this policy).
4. Badges Are Non-Replaceable. Badges are non-replaceable. QCon is not responsible for replacement of any lost or stolen badges.
5. Bring your ID. Prepaid badges may be picked up from the QCon registration table at the conference location (Badges are sorted by FIRST name). To be able to pick up a badge, attendees must present a valid photo-identification (ID). Badges have to be picked up in-person and will only be handed to the person identifying him-or herself as the individual to whom the badge was issued.
6. Pre-Paid Access Only. Only badges/registrations that have been paid in full will be available for pick up. Only participants who have paid for the conference in full will be admitted. Last-minute credit card payments can be processed on-site.
7. Limited Conference Access. Only participants with valid, QCon-issued badges are allowed access into the QCon conference areas or into QCon social events (on-and off-site). Participants with exhibit-only access are not allowed into sessions or keynotes. Participants with limited-access passes (i.e. limited to specific locations and/or duration) may only access QCon according to the pass limitations. All QCon participants are required to wear their badges for the duration of QCon in a way that allows for their badge to be legible and visible at all times. Conference participants violating any part of this policy may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers. QCon reserves the right to refuse registration or admission to anyone for any reason. If QCon cancels your registration, we will provide a full refund.
8. International Visa. QCon encourages you to apply for a visa (if you need one) BEFORE buying a conference ticket. Please email us at the email addresses below to request a visa invitation letter to assist you in this process. QCon registrations are non-refundable and we will not refund your registration fee if your visa application is turned down. In addition, QCon and C4Media cannot be held responsible should access to the country in which QCon is hosted not be granted to you by local border authorities.
9. Workshop Access Only if Paid & on Class List. QCon workshops (formerly called “tutorials”) are considered a separate purchase from a QCon conference pass (even if the payment was made as part of a 4-day or 5-day ticket bundle). As such, workshop access is only granted if it has specifically been paid for. All workshops are subject to class-pre-registration (which generally opens 8 weeks before the conference). All workshop attendees are required to register for the specific workshop(s) that they are planning to attend. Only if an attendee is on the class list for a specific workshop, will he or she be granted access to that classroom on the day of the workshop. Registration to specific workshops is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Some workshops have class-size limitations and hence sell-out. Should that happen, you will be asked to select a different workshop. This will not be a reason for you to receive a workshop refund.
10. Late Arrival for Workshops Can Mean That You Lose Your Seat. We sometimes have a waitlist for a specific workshop. Should you be registered for a waitlisted workshop and you arrive more than 15 minutes late to said class (workshop), we reserve the right to re-assign your seat to someone from the waitlist. If this happens to you, upon arrival at the conference, you may be asked to select a new workshop, based on seat-availability. Late arrival and subsequent re-assignment of workshop and/or seat, will not be considered a valid reason to request a refund.
11. Change & Cancellation of Workshops. While it rarely happens, workshops sometimes have to be cancelled or a different teacher has to be assigned to a specific workshop. Should that happen, QCon staff will notify registered attendees immediately and if applicable, ask you to please select a different workshop from our offering.
12. Event Cancellations & Changes. We reserve the right to cancel or postpone QCon at our sole discretion. If we cancel or postpone the conference, we will use reasonable efforts to reschedule to within twelve (12) months from its original start date. Registration fees paid by registrants for a cancelled or postponed conference shall be applicable to the rescheduled conference on a dollar for dollar basis only. In the event that QCon elects not to reschedule the cancelled conference, registrants will be offered a refund. If this occurs, our responsibility is limited to a refund of registration fees already paid. QCon is not responsible for airline tickets, hotel costs, other tickets or payments, or any similar fees, penalties, related or unrelated losses, costs and/or expenses registrants may incur or have incurred as a result of any trip cancellations or changes. Conference dates and locations are subject to change without prior notice. QCon reserves the right to change any and all speakers or instructors without notice.
13. Payment Information. Only participants who have paid for the conference in full will be admitted (see “ Badge Pick-up and Pre-Payment” section of this document). The registration fees are subject to taxes as applicable and stated. QCon complies with all local tax filings and regulations. It is the registrant’s responsibility to comply with his/her own respective tax laws. We accept Paypal, and major credit cards. You may pay online or contact us to request pay-by-phone or invoice payment. A payment charged to your credit card or Paypal account is processed in U.S. funds. If the price shown is denominated in a currency other than US$, it will be processed at the then posted foreign currency exchange rate. We are not responsible for any discrepancies between bank exchange rates, bank card exchange rates, foreign bank transaction fees, internet posted exchange rates, etc. Checks & Money Orders are not currently accepted online.
14. Code of Conduct. We expect all participants to follow our Code of Conduct to ensure that all QCon participants can enjoy a safe and productive conference environment. Read full code of conduct.
15a. Photography & Video of You. Throughout the event, you will see photographers and videographers capturing and documenting QCon. It's possible that you will appear in some of those photos/videos, which are used for future marketing. We also encourage attendees to share their conference experiences via their own photos on social media. If you have any concerns, please speak directly with any photographer.
15b. Photography & Video of Us. If you like, you may take your own still photos during QCon and share them on social media. However, due to copyright laws, you may Not take your own video of sessions, presentations, keynotes, workshops, labs and share the video - regardless of whether the video is shared online, offline, live or archived. Conference participants violating this policy may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
15c. Early Access Videos. QCon offers attendees early access to videos of presentations hosted on http://www.infoq.com. These videos are meant for personal viewing by QCon attendees only and downloading of the videos is not permitted or supported. Videos may only be shared with a 3rd-party using the "share with a friend" feature that the video page offers. QCon reserves the right to block any user's account who does not adhere to these rules.
16. Use of Internet / Wifi. All participants agree to use the conference-provided internet/wifi only for purposes that are within the boundaries of the law. Participants acknowledge that they understand that their use of the internet will be over an open and unsecured network and the safety and privacy of communications and transactions cannot be guaranteed. Bandwidth provided will accommodate general email, but it will not support downloading heavy files or streaming video.
17. Speaker’s Own Opinion. QCon and C4Media do not endorse any opinions, statements or presentations made by speakers, sponsors, attendees, guests or other participants of the conference. These statements solely reflect the opinion of the respective speaker. C4Media cannot be held liable or responsible for these statements. However, if statements made by a speaker violate QCon’s Code of Conduct (see below), we request that our staff be immediately notified so that this can be addressed and necessary steps can be taken per our policy.
18. Volunteers & Temps. QCon relies on the help of some volunteers and temps to host the conference. Volunteers and temps are not employees or staff of QCon or C4Media. As such, QCon or C4Media cannot be held responsible for their actions, beliefs or statements. However, if you hear any inappropriate statements or see inappropriate behavior, please bring it immediately to the attention of the QCon staff at the info booth/ registration desk.
19. General Release of Liability. QCon and C4Media assume no responsibility or liability for the facilities or services provided for the duration of the conference. This includes - but is not limited to - the main conference venue, possible off-site QCon-related events, suppliers, vendors, exhibitors, sponsors, speakers, guests, volunteers, staff, other participants, hotels and transportation services. Anyone attending this conference releases QCon, C4Media Inc. and C4 USA Inc. - including its staff, employees, owners, managers, officers, agents, subsidiaries and affiliates - from any and all claims that may arise out of attending at this conference.
20. Theft & Loss. QCon and C4Media cannot be held liable for loss or theft of any kind during the conference. This includes but is not limited to items left unattended in hotel rooms, at exhibitor tables, personal items left in session rooms or workshop rooms or coats and jackets left on coat racks. However, should you have lost an item, please check with the QCon info booth in case your item has been turned in.
21. Legal Drinking Age & Alcohol Consumption. By attending QCon, you confirm that you are of minimum legal drinking age. C4Media and QCon will not assume any responsibility or liability for under-age alcohol consumption or the effects of alcohol consumption in general. Anyone attending this conference releases QCon, C4Media Inc. and C4 USA Inc. from any and all claims that may arise out of alcohol consumption at this conference, at conference-related events or the travel to/from the conference.
22. Food Allergies. Aspiring QCon participants agree to bring severe food allergies to the attention of the conference staff PRIOR to purchasing a ticket to attend QCon (see email address on the bottom). QCon staff will attempt to accommodate such allergies. Even if accommodations are offered, QCon, C4Media Inc. and C4 USA Inc., will not assume any responsibility or liability for compliance to the offered accommodations or possible ill effects. Food allergies brought to the attention of conference staff AFTER the purchase of a QCon conference ticket will be accommodated if possible, but will under no circumstance be a reason for a refund of the conference ticket.
23. Communicable Diseases. QCon asks you to please use good judgment regarding your overall health when attending our conference. Out of respect to other conference attendees, please do not attend if you have any diseases that can be communicated by close contact - such as is present in any conference environment. Should a health concern be reported to QCon staff, we allow the right to further investigate the claim and at the discretion of the conference organizers, said participant may be asked to leave the conference without a refund.
24. Emergencies. In case of an emergency during the conference or during an off-site conference-related event, please follow the instructions from venue staff and venue announcements.
25. Copyrights. Product and brand names are usually registered trademarks of the respective companies. QCon is a private event of C4Media. The organizer holds all trademarks and copyrights for the content of the conference.
26. Privacy. We do not sell, trade, share or rent your information to other parties unless we have first obtained your consent. Your personal information will be used only by the C4Media-owned websites and conferences, which currently include only QCon and InfoQ. Examples of how we use your information internally include conference updates and discounts, solicit your feedback, provide you with early access to conference videos, resolve accounting issues or determine popularity of a topic or speaker. Should you personally volunteer your information to a QCon sponsor or exhibitor (i.e. by allowing your badge to be scanned), you are agreeing to be contacted by that specific sponsor/exhibitor. QCon does not give sponsors/exhibitors access to our attendee list.
Badge Scanning. QCon conference badges include an NFC chip that can only be read by touching one of the custom QCon NFC readers (“voting boxes”) used for presentation exit polling or by touching a QCon-owned android lead scanning device with custom software, used by an exhibitor. The information encoded on the NFC chip includes your name, title, company and contact information. Your participation in our exit polling - by touching your NFC chip to the “voting box” near the session room exits - is crucial in providing us with feedback regarding the presentation. We use your votes to improve our conference content through mostly quantitative means, but on occasion also by reaching out to you for additional qualitative feedback - should you wish to share it.
C4Media (which owns QCon) may also use your votes to keep you informed of relevant C4Media content and C4Media conferences. However, C4Media does not disclose information collected through NFC scanning to outside parties and does not use it to track attendance or use it before/ after/ outside the conference itself. We are required to disclose your registration information if we are asked by the law or the courts to do so.
27. Company and Ownership. QCon is a trademarked and wholly-owned brand of C4Media Inc., located in Toronto, Canada at #705-2267 Lake Shore Blvd W, Toronto, ON, Canada, M8V 3X2. In these “QCon Terms of Participation”, any reference to “QCon” also includes and implies C4Media Inc. and C4 USA Inc. As such, all of the before-mentioned QCon Terms of Participation also apply to and indemnify C4Media Inc., C4 USA Inc. and all its subsidiaries and affiliates.
28. Policy Modifications. We reserve the right to change these QCon Terms of Participation at any time. Please visit this page periodically to check for changes.
29. Contact Us. If you have questions about the QCon Terms of Participation and/or would like to contact us, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org