Track: Non-Technical Skills for Technical Folks

Skills to be a top technician that don't involve writing code: communication, empathy, emotional grit, fortitude, teamwork, advanced critical thinking.

Tracks

  • Architectures You've Always Wondered About

    Hard earned lessons from names you know on scalability, reliability, throughput, and performance.

  • Machine Learning for Developers

    Machine learning is more approachable than ever. Learn techniques and use cases with PyTorch, Keras and TensorFlow that will become foundational for moderan application developers.

  • Microservices / Serverless (Patterns & Practices)

    Evolving, observing, persisting, operating, and building modern architectures.

  • Data Engineering

    AI is the new electricity, but only 20% of the work is machine learning. The other 80% is data engineering: cleaning, enriching, moving, and transforming data. It's data engineering.

  • Developing/Optimizing Clients for Developers

    Electron, Flutter, JavaScript, GraphQL, Node/NPM. Web Workers, Wasm, WebVR, Speech/Alexia/Pipeline. More topics than room in this modern UI tech track.

  • Trust, Safety, & Security

    Privacy, confidentiality, safety, security: learns from the frontlines.

  • Modern CS in the Real World

    Thoughts pushing software forward, including consensus, CRDTs, formal methods, & probabilistic programming.

  • Human Systems: Hacking the Org

    Power of leadership, Engineering Metrics, and strategies for shaping the org for velocity.

  • Building High-Performing Teams

    Building, maintaining, and growing a team balanced for skills and aptitudes. Constraint theory, systems thinking, lean, hiring/firing and performance improvement will be discussed.

  • Architecting For Failure

    More than just building software, building deployable production ready software in the face of guaranteed failure.

  • Modern Java

    6 month cadence, cloud-native deployments, scale, Graal, Kotlin, and beyond. Learn how the role of Java as it is evolves for the next 20 years.

  • High Performance Computing: Lessons from FinTech & AdTech

    Killing latency and getting the most out of your hardware.

  • 21st Century Languages

    Lessons learned from building languages like Rust, Go-lang, Swift, Kotlin, and more.

  • Software Defined Infrastructure: Kubernetes, Service Meshes, & Beyond

    Deploying, scaling, managing your services is undifferentiated heavy lifting. Hear stories, learn techniques, and dive deep into software infrastructure.

  • Non-Technical Skills for Technical Folks

    Skills to be a top technician that don't involve writing code: communication, empathy, emotional grit, fortitude, teamwork, advanced critical thinking.