Workshop: Awesome Postmortems
Date:Fri, 17 Jun
Failure is inevitable. Success is unpredictable. Failure and success together are also tremendous learning opportunities. A postmortem, conducted in an skillful way, is one of the best ways to learn from what happened. This deep learning is required to identify and address areas of fragility within systems and organizations, making both more resilient.
In this highly-rated and practical workshop--co-lead by the author of “Beyond Blame: Learning From Failure and Success” (Dave Zwieback) and organizational development expert (Yulia Sheynkman)--you’ll learn the counterintuitive research behind deeper, more impactful learning. Most important, you will practice conducting awesome postmortems, including:
- facilitating charged conversations after high-stakes outages
- debriefing techniques to maximize retrospective learning
- going beyond the two most powerful impediments to learning (blame and biases)
- finding the real root cause of any failure or success (yes, there is such a thing!)
- acting in accordance to the complexity of the system
- effectively sharing the learning (internally and externally)
- harnessing prospective hindsight to identify risks and reduce the possibility of future failures, and maximize potential for success
- getting executive support and building a community of practitioners within your organization
- Problem-solving exercise
- The Learning Review Framework
- Cognitive Biases
- Advanced Listening
- The Case (Applying the Framework)
Architectures You've Always Wondered about
Case studies from the most relevant names in software
Developer Experience: Toolchain, Continuous Delivery, & More
Trends, tools and projects that we're using to maximally empower your developers.
DevOps & Site Reliability
Failures, edge cases and how we're embracing them.
High Velocity Dev Teams
Working Smarter as a team. Improving value delivery of engineers. Lean and Agile principles.
Immutable Infrastructures: Orchestration, Serverless, and More
What's next in infrastructure. How cloud function like lambda are making their way into production.
Innovations in Fintech
Technology, tools and techniques supporting modern financial services
Machine Learning 2.0
Machine Learning 2.0, Deep Learning & Deep Learning Datasets
Microservices: Patterns & Practices
Practical experiences and lessons with Microservices
Modern Clientside Apps
Reactive, cross platform, progressive - webapp tech today
Modern CS in the Real World
Applied, practical, & real-world dive into industry adoption of modern CS
Next Gen APIs
Tooling, techniques, & practices building APIs today
Maximizing your impact as an engineer, as a leader, and as a person
Security War Stories
How our industry is being attacked and what you can do about it.
Stream Processing in Practice
Rapidly moving data at scale.
Lessons from 8, prepping for 9, and peeking ahead at 10. Innovators in Java.